End of Life Law for Clinicians WebinarDescription
Medical practitioners play a critical role in end-of-life care, including when undertaking Advance Care Planning (ACP), assessing a patient’s capacity to make treatment decisions, determining a patients substitute decision-maker and deciding whether to follow a patient’s Advance Care Directive.
However, empirical research has demonstrated that significant legal knowledge gaps exist amongst specialists who practise palliative and end-of-life medicine. Unfamiliarity with the law creates significant risks for practitioners and patients, making legal knowledge an important component of clinicians’ expertise and practice.
This webinar addresses this need by improving medical practitioners’ knowledge and awareness of end of life law and application of the law in clinical practice, enhancing their confidence to manage legal issues that arise in practice and supporting their delivery of quality end of life care to patients and families.
It will meet these aims by exploring end-of-life law in the context of a clinical case study about an older person in residential aged care.
1.5 h Webinar
ACRRM 2 PDP
- Explain when the legal framework in your State or Territory permits withholding or withdrawing life-sustaining treatment from a person with or without capacity
- Recognise when a person will have impaired capacity for end of life decision-making, and when consent to treatment must be sought from a substitute decision-maker
- Determine whether a person's Advance Care Directive is legally valid and must be followed
- Identify who may act as a substitute decision-maker for a person who has lost capacity, and the decisions they can make
- Capacity and consent to medical treatment
- Withholding and withdrawing life-sustaining medical treatment
- Advance Care Directives
- Substitute decision-making
- Providing palliative medication
- Futile or non-beneficial treatment
- Emergency treatment
Wednesday 9 October 2019
WA: 4:30 - 6:00 PM
NT: 6:00 - 7:30 PM
QLD: 6:30 - 8:00 PM
SA: 7:00 - 8:30 PM
NSW, VIC, ACT & TAS: 7:30 - 9:00 PM
For all enquiries, contact Hannah McNaught on:
Phone +61 7 3138 2230
End of life care, medico-legal, decision-making, Advance Care Directive (ACD), residential aged care facility, case study
GP, GP Registrar, Specialist, Doctor in Training (DIT), Medical Student, International Medical Graduate, Overseas Trained Doctor